Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Herd

The Herd
10x20
oil on canvas board
sold
This is a scene I recently painted of buffalo in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge.  This Refuge is only an hour from our home in Altus and a favorite place for my husband and me to camp and hike.  I take lots of photos to paint from.  The photos of the buffalo were actually taken in Wyoming, while the background photo was taken in the refuge.  I really enjoyed working with these colors--I usually don't have such a variety of colors to work with when painting the refuge.  I have been learning to work with grays more in mixing colors and I find that its easier to acheive the colors I am looking for.  I learned a lot from an artist named Don Finkeldei who puts a lot of instruction on his web site.  He was very gracious to answer my questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment